Py_SetProgramName?

Owen F. Ransen ransen_spam_me_not at nemo.it
Tue Feb 20 01:04:29 EST 2001

>Quoting from "1.4, Embedding Python" in
>the Python/C API Reference Manual:
>
>"""
>The embedding application can steer the search by
>calling Py_SetProgramName(file) before calling
>Py_Initialize(). Note that $PYTHONHOME still overrides
>this and $PYTHONPATH is still inserted in front of the
>standard path. An application that requires total
>control has to provide its own implementation of
>Py_GetPath(), Py_GetPrefix(), Py_GetExecPrefix(),
>and Py_GetProgramFullPath() (all defined in
>Modules/getpath.c).
>"""

I read that several times before posting my original
message. It still is not clear to me what or why I
should call the function.

Like many manuals it assumes that you understand EVERYTHING
else in the manual except the entry you are currently
reading!  ;)

Maybe someone can give me a practical example of when
I would want to use Py_SetProgramName(file)

--
Owen F. Ransen
http://www.ransen.com/