Win Development

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Sun Feb 4 17:05:20 EST 2001

Michael Jonas wrote:

> Should I copy the self_build (debug and release?) libs, dll and exe files to
> the binary dist and do my Development there?!?
> Or do I leave the stuff in the source dist to code my C Modules?!? And build
> python Modules in the binary dist!?
> Or should I develop my C-Modules in the source dist and put the result to
> the binary Dist?!?
> Or should I put the source into the root of my binary dist ?!?

What I do is to build everything I can from sources, and run them directly.  Thus, Python itself is always run from the CVS source directory, with the executables directly in the "PCBuild" directory.

If you run Python in this way, it doesnt need any PYTHONPATH setup at all for its core library.

This just leaves you with your extension modules.  Again, you should be able to setup to run directly from the source tree.  Hit the registry editor, and manually add the paths to your extensions to the PYTHONPATH.

> I've allready seen that VC debugger (and the look at Python's source) is one
> of my best friends and I want to make it find everything as required. ( I
> used vi the last years...)

Doing what I descrribed keeps VC happy, and it never needs to ask where source-code is.

> VC. By the way... is there a way to do Python development in VC's
> interface?!?

Not yet, but ActiveState are working on "Visual Python" for the VC7 environment.

Mark.