Win Development

Michael Jonas micheljonas at web.de
Sun Feb 4 11:42:14 EST 2001

I'm going to start a bigger project which is primary based on a Win32
Environment. Cause I used python only on IRIX and Linux the last years, I'm
not used to the Win32 environment and I think I need some tips how to
organize the whole stuff.

What I did till here:
I installed the python20 binary dist to C:\PYTHON20 and put the source dist
to C:\PYTHON20SRC.
I compiled the Release and the Debug version. Now there are some conceptual
questions...

Should I copy the self_build (debug and release?) libs, dll and exe files to
the binary dist and do my Development there?!?
Or do I leave the stuff in the source dist to code my C Modules?!? And build
python Modules in the binary dist!?
Or should I develop my C-Modules in the source dist and put the result to
the binary Dist?!?
Or should I put the source into the root of my binary dist ?!?

I've allready seen that VC debugger (and the look at Python's source) is one
of my best friends and I want to make it find everything as required. ( I
used vi the last years...) So maybe there are some additional benefits using
VC. By the way... is there a way to do Python development in VC's
interface?!?
I could go on and try every solution myself, but there's a lack of
expirience with the Win32 Concept. On Linux I was used to build my C-Modules
in the source tree and get them installed using make. I was a little bit
confused that there's no installer which put's everything in place from the
source dist, or at least I did not find it.

Thanks in advance...

Michael

Michael Jonas
Das Werk Digitale Bildverarbeitungs GmbH
mail:  mj at muc.das-werk.de
phone: +49(89)368148-700
fax:   +49(89)368148-111