What to do after Python?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Feb 18 11:22:58 EST 2001

"bowman" <bowman at montana.com> wrote:
> the only thing SQL ever broadened was my boredom. Once the initial concepts
> are grasped, which takes about an hour, the rest is endless repetition. I
> usually feel like I'm headed for the Augean stables with a very small
> shovel.

I agree that SQL is about as exciting as a rotting turnip, but the fact is
that there is a heck of a lot of SQL going on in the world, and it's a good
skill to know.  What's more, the Python SQL interface makes the two a
really powerful combination.  I find what works well most of the time is to
let SQL dig out the data you want, then use Python to manipulate it.

I'm working right now with a product which was historically SQL-based.  The
stuff we're doing now has evolved almost entirely away from SQL, but we
still maintain a copy of some data in Oracle for backward-compatability.
Every so often, while my co-workers are struggling to figure something out,
I'll impress them by firing up sqlplus, typing "select blah from blah where
blah blah blah", and getting the answer in 30 seconds.