How widespread is NIS support?

A.M. Kuchling amk at mira.erols.com
Tue Feb 20 21:28:22 EST 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:23:15 +1100 (EDT),
	Andrew MacIntyre <andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au> wrote:
>FreeBSD supports NIS (though not NIS+) but doesn't have the
>'yp_get_default_domain' man page you refer to.  I think the other BSDs and
>most Linux distros are in the same boat.

CNRI uses NIS+ internally.  A while ago, when we first began replacing
Solaris machines with Linux boxes, Greg Ward slammed his head against
configuring NIS+ support; there's a HOWTO that's far out of date, and
various hacked pieces of software to install.  Getting NIS working is
a matter of changing a few config files on current Linux versions; we
never managed to get NIS+ working at all.

I'd be surprised if the module supports NIS+ at all.  Well, let's be
brave; for beta1 I'll enable NIS by default on all platforms, and see
where it breaks.

--amk