Python and GTK

Jay O'Connor joconnor at cybermesa.com
Sat Feb 3 11:48:11 EST 2001

I tried using Python with GTK and ran into some problems. It seems I
didn't have GTK support installed. So I downloaded it and attempted to
compile it, but I was missing a lot of the GTK dev header files needed
to compile. So I got them all installed, I think. The Python/GTK stuff
at least compiles.

My first script has the following two lines

from gtk import *
from GTK import *

and on the first line I get...

[jay at altaica gtk_test]$ ./gtktest.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./gtktest.py", line 3, in ?
    from gtk import *
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages/gtk.py", line 21, in ?
    import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages/_gtkmodule.so:
undefined symbol: GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR
[jay at altaica gtk_test]$

Anyone else run into anything like this or have success or failure
running GTK with Python?

Thanks

--
Jay O'Connor
joconnor at cybermesa.com
http://www.cybermesa.com/~joconnor

"God himself plays the bass strings first when He tunes the soul"