pth information

Don Tuttle tuttledon at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 17:02:50 EST 2001

"D-Man" <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in message

> Ok, but I still want to know what such a file should look like.  For
> example, on one of my systems, I have Win2k, Python 2.0, and wxPython
> 2.2.5.  Python is installed in d:\apps\python20 wxPython is in
> d:\lib\python_modules\wxPython.  Right now I have
> d:\lib\python_modules in my PYTHONPATH environment variable.  If I
> want to use a wxPython.pth file instead, how would I do that?   Should
> it go in d:\apps\python20\lib?  What should it contain?  Simply the
> path to d:\lib\python_modules\wxPython on a line by itself?

I was wondering about this just a couple of days ago.  From what I could
find out the .pth should contain a one line path to the folder where the
module resides.

In your case the "wxPython.pth" would contain this line:
d:\lib\python_modules\wxPython

If you had installed it in the \Python20 folder, all you would need is the
folder name (path relative to \Python20):
    wxPython.pth
    wxPython

Question:  Where does Python look first?  The PythonPath or for a .pth file?

Hope this helps,
Don