XML Module problems

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 26 03:33:48 EST 2001

Lars von Wedel <vonWedel at lfpt.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> As far as I know we installed a binary package from some site, don't
> know from where exactly, though. However, in xml/parsers there is
> expat.py but no pyexpat.

That makes it difficult to analyse the problem further. In Python
proper, pyexpat, if present, might be builting or a lib-dynload
module; it will not reside in xml.parsers. If you'd know where the
binary came from, you could complain to the packager...

> > > Hence I chose to install PyXML -- it installs fine but running it
> > > gives me a segmentation fault in sax.make_parser(), so probably it
> > > doesn't succeed in loading the pyexpat.so module. Are there any
> > > binary versions of the module?
> >
> > What version of PyXML? It works fine for me. If you need binary
> > releases: what version of Solaris?
> It shows the same behavior for both 0.6.2 and 0.6.3. 'uname -a'
> says 'SunOS kazul 5.7 Generic sun4m sparc'. I just tried to recompile
> the package on a more recent machine (SOS 5.7, but type sun4u instead
> of sun4m) and this one seems to work (on both machines!), I can create
> an Expat after installing the package. Strange, but anyway.

Strange indeed. Broken compiler?

> Now, that's indeed confusing! With this hint I could quickly trace the
> problem down.

It's good to hear it works now.

Regards,
Martin