Suffering For Your Art

Dan Parisien dan at eevolved.com
Fri Feb 23 11:51:52 EST 2001

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> When I first started looking at Python a few years back I had to get past
> the mental block that Python was a "scripting" language and was therefore
> inherently less powerful than the more traditional "compiled" languages
> (e.g. C/C++ or Fortran). So while it was OK for small or even moderately
> sized programming tasks, there's no way you'd write a full-blown
> application in Python.

I am. A rather large project as well that hits consumers as well as
businesses. Python has been the breath of fresh air I've always wished
programming could be. Because of Python, we are going to be able to produce
some incredible applications using
-Python Sockets and cPickle
-Shelve (Robin Dunn's bsddb3.dbshelve which is excellent btw)
-Dictionaries whose keys are arbitrary methods/functions as dynamic message
handlers
- FXPy (which you coded :) which comes to a 1.5MB full featured, cross
platform GUI toolkit
- RExec

We learned about Python in January, switched our entire project from c++
(losing a large amount of code), and we hope to have a beta out relatively
soon (weeks instead of months). I always tell my programmer friends, to
learn of python is to learn python.

Dan