serial port

Warren Postma embed at geocities.com
Mon Feb 19 16:29:40 EST 2001

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3A78DE82.1EE39E06 at engcorp.com...
> mike wrote:
> >
> > is there any modules for serial port communication?
>
> Yes.  No.  Depends on the platform.  Are you running
> on Windows?  Linux?  Elsewhere?

This seems a darn shame.

I think a single portable API should be developed. One that will enumerate
the serial devices, query their speed-range abilities, and so on, so that a
single source can handle unix /dev/xxx semantics, Dos/Windows style "COMx:"
labels, etcetera.

I have already written one for win32, which I think is quite nice, and which
doesn't do anything that can't be done on all platforms. (No overlapped IO
support on Win32 for instance.)

Somebody better do something or else.... or else.... or else I will do it
myself, gosh darn it! ;-)

Warren