Windows/Cygwin/MacOSX import (was RE: python-dev summary, 2001-02-01 - 2001-02-15)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 20 00:39:08 EST 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote in message
> [Terry Reedy]
> > One of the hassles with Win9X is that Windows Explorer displays,
> > I believe, some files differently from how they are stored.
>
> This depends on the setting of Explorer's
>
>     View -> Folder Options ... -> View -> Allow all uppercase names
>
> option.  It that's on, file names are shown as stored.  But it's off by
> default.  Then an ALLCAPS name is shown as Allcaps (i.e., first letter
> uppercase, all the rest lowercase), while other names are shown as
stored.

By coincidence, I discovered this 'feature' a couple of days ago, just
after posting this, in the process of turning on the display of hidden
files.

> > So I have sometimes had trouble opening files.
>
> I don't understand that, as open() is case-insensitive on Windows.

I do not believe that this has always been my experience, but the problem I
had was a couple of years ago, so I will wait until I reproduce the problem
before saying more.