math through programming

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:04:51 EST 2001

[

below is my most recent post to math-learn, clearly a
response to something earlier -- but with enough standalone
content to give the idea.

Earlier posts in the same thread include Python source
code for computing Pascal's Triangle and comparing the
results with balls randomly falling, pachinko-style,
through a triangulated grid of pins (some of you may have
seen the well-known science museum demo showing the bell
curved result).

Thanks again to Tim Peters for cluing me re 'Concrete
Mathematics' which I went out and grabbed some months ago
(if edu-sig had a search feature, I'd go find where he
first posted about it, as an easier intro than Knuth's
"telegraphic" 'Art of Computer Programming' -- and indeed,
that's how this text evolved, from notes around the
mathematical preliminaries leading into Knuth's magnum
opus).

I'm cross-posting this here as a snap-shot of my ongoing
effort to combine the math learning process with a
strong programming element, to create a hybrid more
adapted to life in the 21st century.  The mass-education
juggernaut has too much inertia to steer in this new
direction any time soon, but there's always the hope
that more alert passengers will jump overboard and swim
for their lives :-D (good to have this alternative more
seaworthy craft in the vicinity, given the more
conventional curriculum simply isn't).

complete thread:
http://www.mathforum.com/epigone/math-learn/snoipumkhee

Kirby