math through programming

Jeff Sandys sandysj at asme.org
Wed Feb 14 11:48:20 EST 2001

I am cross posting this to comp.lang.logo to expose the
Logo community to python and "Computer Programming for
Everyone" (CP4E).

My view of Logo is a mathematical playground.  I still
believe that it is a better language for young students
(I like working with 9 year old and above), and it
embraces different learning styles with a cleaner and
more forgiving syntax.

The advantage of python is object programming, which
some Logo languages have, and a skill that can be used
later.  While the learning processes developed with Logo
translate to other programming languages and to thinking
in general, I have never seen any commercial applications
or job openings for Logo.

What python is missing is a course outline that is age
appropriate and accommodates different learning styles.
I am eager to try python on some middle school students
in an after school programming club, but without a plan
I will stick to tried and proven Logo.

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys