1st install on Linux (RH 7.0) I hit a snaggg !!!

Peter T. Breuer ptb at oboe.it.uc3m.es
Wed Feb 21 06:46:15 EST 2001

In comp.os.linux.setup John Hasler <john at dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> bowman writes:
>> unless you have some dependencies, you might remove the 8.3 rpms and
>> install 8.0.

> Why do you think he needs to remove 8.3?  tcl8.0, tcl8.2, and tcl8.3 all
> co-exist peacefully on my Debian system.

Yes, well, to nitpick, he didn't say "need" and he appears to know what
he is talking about in general :-). I daresay he just wants to reduce
clutter in the case that these installs are really not necessary for
the system, thus simplifying whatever problem the OP is facing and
aiding diagnosis.

>> rpm's are fine things, but they imply your machine has all the bits and
>> pieces that the build machine had, which is not always the case.

> That's what dependencies are for (and you can have multiple versions of a
> given library installed at the same time).

Yes.

Peter