python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31

Nathaniel Gray n8gray at caltech.edu.is.my.email.address
Sat Feb 10 00:17:49 EST 2001

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> [cc'd to Andrew Kuchling]
>
> In article <95v3mt$lnh$1 at nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,
> Andrew Dalke <dalke at acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
>
> I'm adding a strong "Me, too!" to everything Andrew D. said.

Me too, too.

> The idea doesn't thrill me, but one possible way to handle this would be
> to gateway python-dev to a moderated newsgroup.

It sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm a bit puzzled by AMK's tone of disappointment with the fact that his
summaries haven't generated messages to python-dev.  It's never been clear
to me that comments from the peanut gallery were appreciated on python-dev.
 When subscription to a mailing list is advertised as "by invitiation only"
and the location of its archives is intentionally obscure, it sends a
strong message that outsiders are not welcome.

A moderated newsgroup seems like a much better vehicle if you intend for
the public to participate in the discussion of Python development without
sending the SNR plummetting.  I imagine most people would hesitate to post
to a moderated newsgroup without having given their message a modicum of
thought.  (Unlike *most* newsgroups ;^)

Nonetheless, a hearty "thank you" to Andrew for taking the time to keep us
up to date for so long.

-n8

--
             Nathaniel Gray