zip vs 0-length files again

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Wed Dec 5 12:11:33 EST 2001

[Robin Becker]
> Tim Peters posted stuff about winzip and .tgz files in the pas, but it
> was alleged that .zip's were OK. I have a freeBSD 4.4 built zipfile with
> 7 length zero __init__.py files. At least one of these fails to be
> extracted on a client's NT box. I am enquiring as to the version of
> zip/winzip being used. With my version 8 under win2k this doesn't
> happen. Can anyone recall more specific details of the problem?

Only that in the cases that came up last time, everyone reported problems
with with 0-length files in .tar format (ditto .tgz) under WinZip, but
nobody reported problems with 0-length files in .zip format under WinZip.
Several inquiries (from me) to WinZip tech support got no response.  A bug
with restoring empty *folders* was documented as fixed in WinZip 6.3.