A Python GUI Book.

Brian Reynolds reynolds at panix.com
Wed Dec 5 13:38:08 EST 2001

In article <3c0390eb at nntp.server.uni-frankfurt.de>,
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer  <mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:
>Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> wrote:
>> One defect that most GUI books I am aware of suffer from is that they
>> are written almost exclusively from the point of view of providing
>> ways for users to provide _input_ to your program, database, or whatever.
>[...]
>> And then, on your first job, you have to write code that handles
>> real-time updates of a package tracking system.  Many people need
>> to write applications where the user _is_ a passive receiver of
>> data.  This is hard to do well, and worth a chapter all to itself,
>> in my opinion.
>
>This is a very good suggestion - thank you. But can you imagine
>a scenario where this can be combined into one example application which
>both reacts to user input and change of internal data ?

An online stock trading application that both displays real time
updates of stock prices and executes the user's buy/sell orders.

Any sort of process control application (or simulation of same) which
displays system status and accepts user input to the system (think
flight/driving simulator for a popular example).

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "Dee Dee!  Don't touch that button!"
reynolds at panix.com              | "Oooh!"