WYSIWYG text Editor in python?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 17 14:24:30 EST 2001

John J. Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:

> Perhaps this is an annoying answer, but PyQt has a trivial-to-use text
> editor widget.  I don't recall if Qt 2 can do bold / italic, etc, but I'm
> almost certain Qt 3 does (with html or xml internally, IIRC).  The
> interface for selecting text attributes such as bold or subscript would be
> up to you, of course.  PyQt is stupidly easy to use :)

Qt 2 can only show rich text - not edit it. Qt 3 isn't yet available in
a non-commercial edition for Windows, but it includes a very capable
rich text engine. I don't think it can show complex formulae, though.
On KDE I'd script KFormula using DCop for that, I think.

On the other hand, I'm currently working on a text editor written
almost entirely in Python (all editing and redisplay), with the goal
of finally having a real interlinear text editor. I think it can
be done -- but it's nowhere yet.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org