WYSIWYG text Editor in python?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Dec 17 13:17:20 EST 2001

On 17 Dec 2001, Enrique wrote:
[...]
> different task, automating text reports. For this task I
> need a MS-Word-like  text editor able to render on screen
> text in bold, italics, underline, greek symbols and
> super/subscripts. I work with MS-Windows.
>
> I have a prototype of the application using
> wxWindows/wxPython and wxHTMLWindow to render the text (text
> input is done with explicit HTML markup tags, which is not
> optimal for users). Hoewever I have found that  wxHTMLWindow
> do not render <font face="symbol"> tags, neither sub and
> superscripts. So I am looking for other solutions.
>
> I have two options in mind:
>
> a) Looking for an existing Python application/module for a
> WYSIWYG text Editor or similar. I have searched the
> Parnassus without success. Are any of you aware of such a
> beast?

Perhaps this is an annoying answer, but PyQt has a trivial-to-use text
editor widget.  I don't recall if Qt 2 can do bold / italic, etc, but I'm
almost certain Qt 3 does (with html or xml internally, IIRC).  The
interface for selecting text attributes such as bold or subscript would be
up to you, of course.  PyQt is stupidly easy to use :)

> b) Using MS-Word as the editor. Currently I am using COM to
[...]
> need to run Word in a MODAL way, (or OLE I don't know, this
[...]

I guess this is a wxPython question.

John