"Pythonj Fatal error: UNREF invalid object

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sat Dec 15 12:28:08 EST 2001

>> Regarding the subject line, what semantics causes the above fatal
>> error to occur, generally?
>
>Looks like[1] it happens when internal gc structures get messed up.
>Are you implementing a container that participates in gc?  Have you
>got everything right?
>
>It also might be caused by random memory scribbling, I guess.

>[1] As in I did
>    $ cd /path/to/python/src
>    $ grep UNREF -r .
>    and looked at what I found.  Was this beyond you?

As a matter of fact, not only was it not beyond me, I did so and
read the code prior to posting the message. While "random memory
scrambling" and "gc messing up" are obvious candidates, I wouldn't
have thought I would have to type out that I already considered
these things and was wondering if any variety of standard situations
arise up with extension writers and screwing up particular data
structures. This might help me get closer to the problem, because
as of right now, Python is crashing in a spot unrelated to my code
and I don't have Purify.

The error traces back to the eval loop, so this isn't an easy problem
to diagnose.

Is anyone using any free/open source memory diagnosers for Windows
2000 with Python?

C//