age of new pythonistas [was: The Editor Poll results are in!]

Dan Compton coca at houston.rr.com
Fri Dec 21 00:48:02 EST 2001

17

I started coding Python about a week ago but began coding 2 years ago
with C++ (in actuality it was C using iostream and some other C++
libraries :-P) and then later learned C itself and true C++.  I
expirimented with Java (and disliked it's feature-less nature,
although they recently took after C++ with templates) and C# (don't
even remind me, please!) but obviously didn't approve of them.  I
tried some Perl but found it to be way too much of an intimidating
mess of syntax and modules.  I also learned Tcl and found it to be a
better alternative to Perl but not quite "there" if you know what I
mean, although I loved Tk (and it's great that other languages can use
Tk!).  So now I come upon Python and it looks like it's going to stay.
 I use a laptop with linux (no internet) and a desktop with windows
(with internet and burner) and am glad to say that everything works
well cross-platform.  I have already interfaced some of my C code with
Python on Windows but since I really HATE VC++ (no, it does not
compile C++, it compiles some made up stuff MS calls C++), I'm going
to do more of that in Linux.  I think Python is great because it is
well designed (unlike Perl), it has many features and modules (unlike
Tcl, but I might be wrong about that due to ignorance), and it has
great integration of C and C++!  I hope to be able to create modules
to be used by the entire Python community sometime.
   Dan