lost interest?

Justin Sheehy justin at iago.org
Sat Dec 8 15:19:54 EST 2001

Walter Moreira <wall at adinet.com.uy> writes:

> I've been reading some of the catalog-sig archives and I wonder why the
> interest of the community about something like CPAN is so small. When a
> message about this thing pops up in c.l.py, it receives only one or two
> answers and the thread dies, and in catalog-sig usually happens something
> similar.

> Why do you think people is not interested? Didn't the community should try to
> encourage something like siphon?

The standard library is extremely rich, and provides a great deal of
functionality simply as a result of having Python installed.
("batteries included")

When one does need a third-party module, in most cases it is trivial
to find, download and "python setup.py install".

I'd ask a different question from yours.  Why is it a problem that
Python doesn't have an equivalent to CPAN?  "Perl has it" isn't
enough.  In order for a number of people to put time and work into
this, it has to pose enough of a problem in its absence that those
people will have real motivation to make it happen.

If something like this (siphon or otherwise) becomes well-accepted and
used by the Python community, I'll be happy about it.  I'm not going
to worry too much about it in the meantime, since I haven't had any
problems as a result of not having such a thing avaiable to me.

-Justin