Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Paul Everitt paul at zope.com
Sat Dec 29 18:00:30 EST 2001

I think there's a lot of merit to what you (Bill) say below.  Zope is a
big project in scope, and though there is a lot of documentation, it is
scattered and not organized as it should be.

The current Zope (2.x) also suffers from more of a "one size fits all"
approach, where content authors, web designers, and site developers are
all wedged into the same basic box.  Thus, documentation and GUI suffer
from having different audiences.  All in all, Zope has a higher learning
curve than it should.

Tackling this basic issue is the goal of Zope3:

   http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/

In particular, read "VisionStatement" on that page for a pretty blunt
statement showing we're in tune with your points.  Zope3 actually has
documentation, interface files, and unit tests being written *before*
code.  All in all, Zope3 is proving to be much more Pythonic, more
modular, more explicit than implicit, etc.

This doesn't preclude the need to do this for Zope2.  I'm interested in
hearing more about the Pet Shop example you mentioned.  Is it a
canonical example that is written up somewhere else for a different system?

All in all, Zope is doing quite well.  I'd say, with all the books out
and coming out, we're ahead of where PHP was at a similar age.  Also,
it's important to note that around half of the people using Zope had
never used Python before.  It's a significant achievement.  Like Python,
Zope has a large and active community with bright and pleasant people
all around the world.

I'd also like to point out that Zope isn't a straight-up competitor to
J2EE.  In many ways, Zope competes more with Vignette, Interwoven, and
other content management systems as much as it competes with application
servers.  This explains why appealing to content authors and site
designers has been on our radar.

It also explains why I think WebWare, Quixote, and other Python web
systems are complementary to Zope.  It's a big market with lots of
audiences.  And we all need Python to succeed.

In fact, with Zope3 I'd like to see more ways for us to collaborate with
other Python web systems, as there is a lot of good work going on.  With
Zope3 being more Pythonic and more modular, there's a better basis for
two-way sharing.  But only if other projects are also interested.

2002 is going to be a critical year for Zope.  On the one hand, we have
the validation from multiple books and some nice customer success
stories (hooray, we can finally talk about CBS!).  Also, Zope3 combined
with Python 2.2 will make Zope more friendly to Python developers.  On
the other hand, we either win back people like you this year, or we face
the thought that we've peaked.

Bill, can you send me an offline note and explain the Pet Shop example?

--Paul