Suggestion for a change to a standard module - where?

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 11:11:13 EST 2001

Today I needed to make a small change to the rlcompleter module for
a project. The change is tiny, fully backwards compatible and gives
new useful functionality (specifically, the ability for rlcompleter
to work in any namespace the user specifies, not just in __main__).

Who/where should I go to suggest incorporating this change in the new
release?

If anyone is interested, it amounts to adding a constructor to
Completer of the form:

    def __init__(self, namespace = __main__.__dict__):
        self.namespace = namespace

and replacing in the file all __main__.__dict__ by self.namespace.

This simple change allows using rlcompleter in contexts where the
execution context is restricted (namespace sandboxes), such as those
that arise in the standard module code.

Code which uses the module in its standard form needs no changes
whatsoever.

So, who should I talk to?

Cheers,

f.