intresting buried treasure in the on line reference manual

Kirk Bailey deliberatus at my995internet.com
Sun Dec 9 01:21:22 EST 2001

Sending a message in python to the mail MTA

I also found this in the refernece, very helpful, eccept for 2 things- a
line of gibberish, and there is a bug on line 14.

Relevant page: http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/SMTP-example.html

 1 import smtplib
 2    import string
 3
 4    def prompt(prompt):
 5        return raw_input(prompt).strip()
 6
 7    fromaddr = prompt("From: ")
 8    toaddrs  = prompt("To: ").split()
 9    print "Enter message, end with ^D:"
10
11    # Add the From: and To: headers at the start!
12    msg = ("From: %s\r\nTo: %s\r\n\r\n"
13           % (fromaddr, string.join(toaddrs, ", "))) # <-- I suspect
this is a linewrap error, it does not bomb
14    while 1: # <-- this line screws everything up!   #     if I place
it all on one line.
15        try:                                         # the test is
APPARENTLY to create an endless loop with 2
16            line = raw_input()                       # hard coded exit
conditions manually built in. But my python hates it.
17        except EOFError:
18            break
19        if not line:
20            break
21        msg = msg + line
22
23    print "Message length is " + `len(msg)`
24
25    server = smtplib.SMTP('localhost')
26    server.set_debuglevel(1)
27    server.sendmail(fromaddr, toaddrs, msg)
28    server.quit()
29
30

--
Respectfully,
             -Kirk D Bailey (C)2001

Within the sweep of his sword, Each man is an Ubar.

http://www.howlermonkey.net/
http://www.sacredelectron.org/