Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Dec 28 07:42:49 EST 2001

"Hans Nowak" <wurmy at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3C2B7276.88339BE7 at earthlink.net...
> Ron Stephens wrote:
> > Sourceforge projects, about 1300 to 80). By the way, Just van Rossum's
> > http://starship.python.net/~just/comp.lang.python/ graph of Python
> > newsgroup coverage seems to show a slight decline from over 6000 per
> > month in late-middle 2001 to the current 3500 or so I see on here. Mr.
> > van Rossum said he may not be able to update these any more due to some
> > Yahoo change; anyway, am I interpreting these numbers and trends
> > accurately? Will the Python newsgroup usage turn upwards again? Does it
> > matter?

Hmmm, I think it's all my fault -- in late-middle 2001 I basically turned
off the Python newsgroup (and other netnews) to concentrate on other
activity
(all Python-related).  And, these days, less and less often do I find myself
somewhere with a newsreader and no other applicable tools (but it still
happens from time to time, e.g. today).

Some day or other, I'll be back with my exaggerated posting volume... just
got a few books & projects to complete first...

Alex