REPOST: Re: Who needs exceptions (was Re: Two languages, too similar, competing in the same space.)

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sat Dec 29 18:29:19 EST 2001

>> C and programmers who like C should die a slow and painful death for
>> holding back the computer industry for two decades.
>
>Fully agree with that.

*shrug*

C's AT&T-approved follow-on turned into a textbook case of pathological
creeping featurism. The few features which increased the language's
expressiveness and clarity were overcome by dozens of elements of complexity
and obfuscation that ruin any chance of the language being any more clear
or understandable than what it replaces.

I would venture a guess that was one of the driving forces of Java.
Mass defection from an unwieldy monstrosity that droves of programmers
would rather not use. C remains in use because it's a better portable
assembly than its unnamed younger decendent, and likewise is quite clear.

What I'm trying to say is that you're accusing C programmers of holding
back the industry, without aknowledging that the good alternatives have
been fairly scarce and polluted in and of their own right.

Perhaps the Children of Bjarne should die a slow and painful death for
the horror they've inflicted upon us and two decades of misdirection
down entirely the wrong path.

>:-/

C//

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: