Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Dave Thomas Dave at PragmaticProgrammer.com
Thu Dec 27 18:28:12 EST 2001

Ron Stephens <rdsteph at earthlink.net> writes:

> Thus, while I admire Ruby, I suspect that it divides the pool of
> developers who might otherwise be all in the Python *camp*.

>From personal experience, I have to disagree. I tried many times to
like Python. I used it on projects and for personal work, but it
never clicked. I couldn't tell you why, and I know it isn't a failing
of the language. It's just that Python and my brain have some kind of
impedance mismatch.

When I tried Ruby, I fell in love within an hour, so much so that I
was driven to write a book about it.

This isn't a "Ruby is better than Python" response. It's just an
observation. Ruby and Python are different, and I suspect there is a
substantial body of developers out there who, like me, have a
preference for one over the other. I don't believe that Ruby is
raiding the Python camp. I believe that Ruby is attracting people to
OO scripting who would not otherwise be doing it.

Regards

Dave