Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Bill Bell bill-bell at bill-bell.hamilton.on.ca
Sat Dec 29 08:22:03 EST 2001

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
> Dave Thomas wrote:
> >
> > ... Instead, Ruby will attract folks from outside the
> > Python world. Ruby and Python differ in philosophy and _feel_. Some
> > folks like one, some the other. I don't see it as competition. I see
> > it as choice.
>
> Is there really a difference? Pepsi and Coke are choices. They are
> also in competition. They have a somewhat different taste but are more
> similar than different. In the long run, there will come a day when
> they've taken as much of the market share of other drinks away as they
> will, and the primary competition will be between the two of them.

I haven't been following this thread; forgive me if my comment is
redundant.

The above exchange reminds me of what marketers have learned
about the effect of increasing the number of alternative brands of
goods and services in a particular market segment. It is simply that,
to a point, the more brands that exist the bigger the market. Or,
IOW, the entry of a new brand may deprive the original brands of
some of their percentage market shares; however, the overall value
of the market increases.

As software people very much interested in certain ways of getting
work done (ie, Python and Ruby)--not to mention enjoying
ourselves!--this is likely to help each of us, provided one does not
cling to products and methods that are on their ways out.
"It is the time that you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."--St-Exupery