Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Arthur Siegel ajs at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 29 10:24:54 EST 2001

Paul Prescod writes -

>When one of Python's killer apps takes over the universe (Zope, Pygame,
>Alice, Mojonation whatever), Python will take over the universe.

I am confused by the discussion only to the extent that it is my
perception that Python slower but surely *is* taking over the universe.
Steady as we go.

Precisely because of the reasons you point to. It is wonderfully general
purpose, with an appeal to such a wide audience needing to solve
widely divergent problems, and coming to *their* problem with widely
divergent backgrounds and experience.

The only misstep I can see at this point is to skew Python's development
in a particular direction to solve a particular problem for a particular
segment
of its potential audience -  whether it be the novices, biochemists,
mathematicians
or  web application builders.

Modules aside, of course.

Art