Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Dec 6 18:22:47 EST 2001

"Stuart D. Gathman" wrote:

> Provided that all tabs precede all spaces in the leading indentation, and
> that the tab expansion value is sufficiently large (>= 4 in the above
> example)

That comment illustrates that there is still a
relationship that must hold between tab and space
widths. It's a looser one than we have now,
but I think it's still too potentially confusing.
Best to define tabs and spaces as completely
incommensurate, and ban mixing them altogether.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg