Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu at gauss.almadan.ibm.com
Thu Dec 6 20:52:41 EST 2001

On 06 Dec 2001 11:29:47 +0100, Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de> wrote:
>Carel Fellinger <cfelling at iae.nl> writes:
>
>> alas, cut&past on an X display will not see those tabs, but only the
>> spaces used to represent them at the moment:(
>
>That's got nothing to do with X and everything with how your editor or
>your terminal emulator as the case may be handles it. I can copy&paste
>between e.g. different Emacs sessions just fine including tab
>characters.

Emacs in their own windows work just fine.  Emacs in xterm sometimes have
problems with tabs.  Cat and more are fine.  But less seems to always change
tab into spaces.  The practical impact is that if I'm viewing a file in less
and want to copy a part of it, I hit v to spawns an editor (emacs) centered
at the current location of the file, copy from it, and close emacs.

Does someone know how to let less preserve tab?

Huaiyu