Tinker vs wxPython ?- Opinions/Views

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Dec 8 22:58:32 EST 2001

Roman Milner wrote:

> Tkinter Pros:
[...]
> Tkinter Cons:
[...]
> wxPython Pros:
[...]
> wxPython Cons:
[...]
> Difficult to learn [...]
> Less stable than Tkinter [...]

I have to disagree with these two.

I was able to create several attractive, simple interfaces
which looked like I wanted them much more quickly with
wxPython, and I have never had any stability problems with either.

I found I had to fight with Tkinter at every turn, however,
to make my interface look like I wanted it to, and often
had to give up my ideal and go with something rudimentary.
With wxPython, I pictured what I wanted and created it.
Studying the demo app code went a long way towards making
the documentation acceptable.  In fact, I think I would say
once I learned to use the source examples, I found wxPython
*better* documented for my needs than Tkinter was.

Clearly this is a case of YMMV...

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com