Python evangelists unite!

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Tue Dec 4 03:12:45 EST 2001

"Peter Milliken" <peter.milliken at gtech.com> wrote:

> > > Like what?
>
> What about languages such as Oberon, Modula-2/3, Smalltalk, Java, Pascal,
> Ada plus many others.

Interesting collection.

Having used several of them I wouldn't prefer them over Python for
most kinds of production stuff (with the exception of Ada for
hard real-time applications -- and guess what, for the RT stuff C has
to be used in my customer's circles <sigh>).

And Smalltalk clearly has more things in common with Python than with
the other languages you mention.

> > > What other languages? What principles/standards?
(snipped third party interpretation)
> No, I didn't mean 'generic' in that sense :-). I was refering more to the
> concepts of information hiding, programming via 'contract', pre/post
> conditions, types and type checking, compile time checking i.e. mispell a
> variable in Python and spend ages looking for it! :-) run-time checking etc
> etc (I could think up others, but these will do for the time being :-)).

Do you remember Ariane 5? The one thing they didn't do was to test the
software in the new environment...

I also find it amusing that you don't mention the one language which
actually supports pre/post conditions out of the box (BTW, it is a lot
easier to add support for pre/post conditions to Python (and
Smalltalk) than to your favorite languages).

Christian

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36