Whatever happened to String Interpolation?

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 09:09:06 EST 2001

Johann Hibschman wrote:

> Fernando =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=E9rez?= <fperez528 at yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> Oh well. We'll see if this gets anywhere. It would be nice to hear
>> from Ping, I wonder if he's around in this group.
>
> I'll try to point him at the thread, though he's been real busy
> of late.  If I catch him, what exactly did you want to know?
>
> --J

Oh, I was just curious whether he was still much 'behind' the idea. I
get the feeling that unless a PEP has a strong 'champion', its
chances of survival in the  Python ecosystem are slim. And that's a
good thing, it is precisely the kind of editorial ruthlessness that
keeps the language clean. But if he's too busy right now to push for
it, that's fine.

You may also want to mention to him the draft pep that came out today
(sheer coincidence):

http://www.tothink.com/python/interpp

That has already drawn some concern from Tim Peters, it would be good
to balance the two ideas and decide which (if any) is sounder, before
trying to push one forward. Ping I'm sure understands the issues
behind this well enough (he implemented Itpl after all) to make some
sort of intelligent comment.

cheers,