Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Wed Dec 5 18:59:30 EST 2001

>>     if isinstance(f, future.Step)          or \
>>        isinstance(f, future.Status)        or ...

>klasses = [future.Step, future.Status, ...]
>if filter(lambda x: isinstance(f,x), klasses):

You're really very annoying. I consider your answer a
dodge, in part because you completely avoided the subject
which was being addressed, and also in part because you
just completely changed the peformance characteristics of
what you replaced for the worst. Surely you're aware that
probabilistic arrangement of conditional tests will enhance
performance, right?

But irrelevant, in any case. You just changed the subject.

>Ugly...
>
>  txt = """
>     Unexpected RETURN intercepted from user code.
>     This is almost certainly due to an inappropriate
>     explicit...
>  """

Uglier in a color hilighting editor, especially considering
that you just changed the content of the string that I wrote.
This particular answer of yours suggests to me that your
practical programming background is extremely shallow. What
you just proposed is that the content of each string VARY
based on the indentation level at which it is designed. Surely
thou jesteth.

> When one of the if tests change it usually causes a cascading
>re-indent of the second column.

Only if you have a sucky editor.

>We use tabs exlusively for all our projects, and in practice there is
>never a problem getting things to line up (I guess as with the
>"whitespace-for-indentation" issue you'll have to try it before you
>believe it).

I don't believe it because I've tried it. Extensively. Over a period
of most of a decade.

C//