Which Python version?

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 21 20:30:03 EST 2001

Howdy y'all,

I have been wondering what the best choice of Python version
would be when starting a new program or module. The latest
version (2.2, since today) would be an obvious choice. But
this would put people with older versions at a disadvantage;
they'd either have to download the latest Python, or just
not use the program/module. (Or patch it... but that is
something else.)

Also, when a new Python version comes out, auxiliary packages
are often not immediately available. Think wxPython, Numeric,
etc, but essentially this is true for every package that relies
on a certain version (often because of DLL dependencies). So,
in my case, I could wait until third-party developers have
caught up, but this means that in the meantime I cannot use
all those shiny new features of the latest Python incarnation,
nor can I use packages that rely on it, which puts _me_ at
a disadvantage. This is not desirable either.

I don't think there is a real solution for this kind of
problem, but I would like to hear what others decide to do
in a situation like this.

--Hans