Hello people. I have some questions

Gerhard Häring g.haering at ___skynamics.com.invalid
Wed Aug 29 09:12:28 EDT 2001

Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
>>I can't think of a time when I've ever seen Python stop. Slow down, yes, but
>>not stop.
>>
>>The truth is, even if there is something you can't do in Python natively, you
>>always have the capability to write a module in C that is callable from
>>Python.
>>
>>So the answer, then, is that Python stops wherever C stops. And I don't think
>>there's a person alive who's EVER seen C stop. I could be wrong though.
>>

>    What about OS kernel modules? You can write them in C, but can you do it
> in Python?

Hmm. I've read an article on Slashdot that somebody hacked the Orbit ORB
into the Linux kernel itself. So, you should be able to interface the
Linux kernel from a Python ORB such as omniORBpy (provided you expose
the Linux kernel via CORBA) :-)

I think if you *really* wanted to, you could hack Python to run in
kernel mode, too. It would be horribly inefficient, but sure possible.
Also it could be possible to write GNU Hurd servers in Python if one is
determined enough to do it.

Gerhard
--
Gerhard Häring