Hello people. I have some questions

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Aug 29 09:47:13 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.999080504.613.python-list at python.org>, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>> I can't think of a time when I've ever seen Python stop. Slow
>> down, yes, but not stop.
>>
>> The truth is, even if there is something you can't do in Python
>> natively, you always have the capability to write a module in C
>> that is callable from Python.
>>
>> So the answer, then, is that Python stops wherever C stops. And
>> I don't think there's a person alive who's EVER seen C stop. I
>> could be wrong though.
>
> What about OS kernel modules? You can write them in C, but can
> you do it in Python?

Not for any existing OSes.

I don't think it wouldn't be very hard to put a Python
byte-code interpreter into kernel space under Linux.  The
"deeply embedded" Python project has already done a lot of the
work since they've got a version of Python that runs w/o an OS.

But nobody has taken the time to do it.  Sounds like a good
grad-school project to me.

I think that writing a Python interpreter in VHDL is the
definitive answer...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I think my career
                                  at               is ruined!