bug or feature? Re: [Python-Dev] ANN: PyChecker v0.8

Neal Norwitz neal at metaslash.com
Tue Aug 7 13:24:03 EDT 2001

Roman Suzi wrote:

> I am not sure if it is a bug or feature, but I have files
> named like: 01.001.py, and PyChecker refuses to check them

It's a feature, of course. :-)

> Is there any limitation on calling Python _programs_ without any dots
> others than before 'py'? Or do I need to rename all those files?

I don't know of a limitation in python program names.  But you can't use
the import statement to import files that begin with a number,
have punctation, etc.

PyChecker uses the imp module which seems to handle these cases fine.
However, PyChecker doesn't work well (ie, at all) with . in the name
unless the . represents a package (eg, import xml.sax).

I really need to fix the package handling.  I should be able to fix
this problem at the same time.

> Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi

Spasibo,
Neal