distributing python programs to non-geeks

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Thu Aug 16 12:31:13 EDT 2001

"Nivel Otri" <nivelnospamotri at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c1eb87b.0108160130.519f68d6 at posting.google.com...
> I've got some python and ruby scripts that some people have
expressed
> an interest in being able to run, but most get scared away by having
> to go to install python/ruby, set up a directory for the scripts,
etc.
>  (All are using some flavor of Windows.)

Given that Python is as easy to install as any commercial software, I
am a bit puzzled at the fear.  For any program that works with files -
word processor, etc -- you also have to set up a directory for the
documents.  Maybe you should suggest My Documents/Python.  If there is
some Python-specific difficulty thats been overlooked, I am curious
what it is.

Bundled executables:
PRO: script is bundled with interpreter it runs with.
ANTI: longer download times of bloated package;
space waste of multiple copies of same executable and library

Terry J. Reedy