Syntax Errors on make install

almwco midnight at the.oasis
Sun Aug 5 06:30:09 EDT 2001

I downloaded the version 2.1.1 tarball.  Configure, make and test
seemed to run smoothly, but make install gave some syntax errors which
scrolled off the screen before I could read them properly.  The
interpreter works fine, as far as I can tell.  Should I be concerned
about those syntax errors?  My system is Debian woody, kernel 2.2.18,
libc6 2.1.3-18, gcc 2.95.2-13.

Incidentally, something on my system unzipped the tarball without my
knowledge, but left the filename unchanged (Python-2.1.1.tgz).  I
downloaded the tarball in Mozilla (M18-3) using HTTP, so I suppose
Mozilla is the obvious suspect.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
almwco