Activestate python vs. Python 2.1.1

Volucris volucris at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 18 18:06:32 EDT 2001

"Relfx" <relfx at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D9zf7.3241$yK4.138308 at e3500-atl2.usenetserver.com...
> Hello everyone,
>
>                              I'm a bit curious about a few things what is
> the difference between Python 2.1.1 and Pythonwin?

ActivePython is based on Python, so everything in the standard Python distro
(AFAIK) is in ActivePython. But also, including Pythonwin, COM stuff, the
docs in Windows help format, and other stuff that I can't remember.

>    Which one would be the better of the two since i'm running windows 98
and
> getting ready to run windows 2000?

Well, if you are going to be on Windows, might as well go with the whole
shebang. Even if only for Pythonwin; it's a pretty good IDE.

>    Also there is a a particualr script that norton tells me that I should
> stop when installing active python 2.1.1. Does anyone know or have
> experience with all this?

I haven't had this problem, but I've heard of it happening to others, as
well. It's a Norton problem, and I think they've fixed it by now. It was a
recent thread, I think. Search http://groups.google.com for Norton for more
info.

-greg