Python 2.1.1 install glitch (Windows binary)

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Sat Aug 25 00:36:29 EDT 2001

I've just reinstalled 2.1.1. final and find that the
file association string I'd manually fixed awhile ago
was reset back to:

   D:\Program Files\Python21\python.exe "%1" %*

This is under Folder Options, where you scroll down
to the PY snake icon, click Advanced | Edit and see
the boot string associated with PY files.

What __should__ be the boot string is:

   "D:\Program Files\Python21\python.exe" %1 %1

This problem may be confined to those setups wherein
Python is installed in a path which includes spaces in the
pathname (as in "Program Files").

When the string is messed up, as shown initially, the
files may still boot in Python, meaning this is a subtle
problem.  But you won't be able to get cgi to work if
you set up a web server, for example.  I run Savant
to test cgi scripts, and without the manual fix (second
string), it won't execute Python in cgi mode.

Kirby