newbie question

Maan M. Hamze mmhamze at pleiades.net
Thu Aug 23 09:18:37 EDT 2001

George
If you expect serious replies, then start by making serious 'allegation' -
two points:
1.  Unlike what you said of the lack of typing in Python - Python is
strongly by dynamically typed.  Java is strongly but statically typed.
> Both java/JSP and python require knowledge of
> html/javascript/java/jsp/xml/web design.
2.  What?  of course Python's web applications require knowledge of HTML
(duhhhh......), and so does VB.net and so does anything at all that requires
a browser to be used.  But Python requires knowledge of javascript/java/jsp?
How is that so?  At least have your commentary objective before stating such
things.  I have been writing web applications in Python using ASP, and now
as CGI applications, and I have never required the use of
javascript/jsp/java.  Actually I make a point of it to never validate even
one field by resorting to javascript.

You know, at times I get tired and sick of both Microsoft and Sun for their
bombastic claims and unwarranted claims.  Neither of them own the web, and
neither of them can claim to have the ultimate solutions to anything.
Meanwhile I am sticking to Python, where at least one gets a **Decent**
answer to questions without producing a credit card to pay for stupidly
answered questions.
Maan
--  A Python Programmer

"George Garnett" <g.r.garnett at worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:FbXg7.20866$Ki1.1665510 at bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> I'm not a python programmer, but I have evaluated the language relative to
> java (yes, I'm a java programmer, and you can assume my opinion on python
is
> suspect). No doubt I'm about to be beat up by all your phyton programmers
> for this, but I'm a glutton for punishment. Please, no four letter words
or
> verbal attacks about my mother.  Here goes:
>
> There is a pile of existing (legacy) visual basic programs out there that
> need to be enhanced and debugged even if Microsoft VB is rapidly moving
> towards Microsoft's  '.net' (dot NET) technology to replace it. There are
> even new projects using VB since the replacement for it will take some
time
> to develop and saturate the market. There should therefore be enough time
in
> the transition to find enough work in VB until Microsoft replaces their VB
> with '.net'  (dot net) technology. Rumor has it that it will be somewhat
> similar look and feel development environment to VB, but unlike VB, its
for
> creating web based applications, and not stand alone applications as is
VB.
> Its in beta test now and will not be a viable (mature bug free) product
for
> another 2 years or so. The competitor to .net is java and JSP. For
immediate
> work, I suggest you create a small project (or two, or three) using VB to
> show the companies that you stand out in the crowd in that you can
implement
> the language and not just read books on it and worked out a few examples.
> Don't worry about the market too much. Within a year or so companies will
be
> begging for programmers again. You should prepare for that while you have
> some free time between jobs by studying. Still worried? Read 'How to stop
> worrying and start living' by Dale Carnegie.
>
> Python has been re-written into jpython in which the language closely
> parallels the java language. The main difference is java enforces strong
> type casting (which is good), where jpython does not (its a gimmick to not
> scare off non professional programmers who don't want to take the time to
> verify every line of code is type casted correctly (this is the part where
> I'll get beat up on) ). JPython is billed as a browser side scripting
> language that complements java. This I believe is true. However, java's
JSP
> technology came out and I believe jpython's days are numbered (then again,
> considering how quickly technology changes, everything's day's are
> numbered!). JPython is Python's attempt to hold onto all its python
> developers and will provide them with a transition path to java (this is
the
> part where I'll get beat up on too) as an alternative to JSP and
javascript.
> If you don't already know python, I suggest you jump directly into
> Microsoft's '.net' technology, or java/JSP and skip jpython. The market
will
> be split between these two powerhouses for the next 5 years or so. Either
> way, an immediate job isn't likely in these until you come up to speed
> (about a year or two), or until the economy picks up (in about 12 months).
>
> Both java/JSP and python require knowledge of
> html/javascript/java/jsp/xml/web design. Unlike VB, its not one
development
> platform but a combination of technologies. The promise of .net is to be
one
> development platform. The downside is proprietary design and not open
> source. Companies want to keep away from being under the thumb of one
vendor
> (such as microsoft). By the way, JSP may develop a good JSP tag library
> where some vendor in the future will develop a single development platform
> and beat microsoft at its own game. Either way (microsoft or java), you'll
> have a lot of reading to do.
>
> If you want to go the java route, here are few books I'll recommend (see
> www.bookpool.com for 40% off). I suggest you order one at a time to see if
> its to your liking. And/or go to the bookstore and browse through them.
Note