A survey of Python IDEs

Brian Kelley bkelley at wi.mit.edu
Tue Aug 28 10:30:21 EDT 2001

Justin Doak wrote:

>Skip Montanaro wrote:
>
>>    Justin> ... the GUI builder should be cross-platform (i.e., the code it
>>    Justin> generates should work on Windows and Linux at least) and an open
>>    Justin> source tool is preferable to a commercial one for cost
>>    Justin> reasons.... If anyone has any thoughts on this matter, I'd love
>>    Justin> to hear them.
>>
>>You might want to check out the gtk/gnome-python/libglade/pyglade
>>combination.
>>

>Interestingly enough, this was my first choice. I have experience using
>this at my previous employer and was quite happy with it. (Note also the
>GladeBase module written by Mitch Chapman,
>http://www.bioreason.com/~brian/GladeBase.html. It automatically hooks
>up callbacks to Python code and looks for .glade files off your
>PYTHONPATH.) However, for the project I'm currently on, we need to
>support both Linux and Windows environments. A little investigation
>revealed that Gtk did not appear to be well supported on Windows. It
>seemed that someone had attempted a port, but it was troublesome and
>they weren't going to support it. If all these tools are reasonably well
>supported on Windows, perhaps I can seriously consider this option
>again. Is anyone using these tools on a linux box to develop GUIs, then
>running them, reasonably trouble-free, on Windows?
>
>JD

Hi Justin.

I have a bundled version of glade and gtk that works fairly well under
windows.  There are, of course, obvious problems with some functionality
with windows such as drag and drop.  The title bar is also mysteriously
f'd up.   However you should be able to use it fairly easily since
you're an old hand at GladeBase :)

The functionality is fairly suprising although it doesn't support the
fancy gnome widgets such as Wizards.

 I also really, really like Qt.  It has an extremely sensible design and
is fairly cross platform (even runs on Mac OS X)  The licensing through
black adder is very reasonable (I don't think Los Alamos can use the
non-commercial version but I really forget the licensing)  But I don't
think they are out of beta testing.

I don't like black adder for a source editor but black adder + xemacs
for win 32 is a killer combination in my opinion.  Check it out at
www.thekompany.com

Anyway, I am looking for web space to put up the installer for the
windows version of glade/gtk and gladebase but feel free to email me if
anyone wants it.  It even comes with documentation and examples!

Brian Kelley
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research