A survey of Python IDEs

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 11:29:53 EDT 2001

"Vassilis Virvilis" <vasvir at iit.demokritos.gr> wrote in message
news:3B7D177E.EFB863FC at iit.demokritos.gr...
> magic keystroke. On UNIX however you can have have different consoles,
> windows, debugger sessions, or even machines. You don't need to constantly
> entering and leaving programs in order to work.

But Windows works like Unix in this sense, so, if this was the
only reason, there would be no explaining the popularity of
IDE's on Windows (it's true the consoles on Windows, /95
and up in particular, are rather brain-dead, but that's easy
to remedy compared with buying/setting up an IDE:-).  So,
while what you quote can no doubt be one factor (perhaps
through a historical legacy of people who moved from DOS
to Windows), I doubt it's a full explanation.

Alex