Hello people. I have some questions

Russell E. Owen owen at astrono.junkwashington.emu
Wed Aug 29 11:53:56 EDT 2001

In article <XO2j7.19$Cz3.314 at pollux.casema.net>,
 "jeroen paul goudsmit" <diedanootdie at danoot.com> wrote:

>so if i got it right, python is easier then vb. Only one  thing is not easy.
>You can't just put  a control on a form. But there are special thingies in
>python who can.

What is not easy is building simple GUIs with a GUI builder (paint an
interface, drag this control there, hook it up). Some of the GUI tool
kits may come with a good interface builder, in which case this comment
is outdated.

However, all the GUI tool kits allow you to build windows and forms by
hand. That is easy to do for simple interfaces, but can get a bit
tedious for complex interfaces.

>And i've got one more question. What's the limit of python. What can you not
>make in it. Vb stops somewere, c++ stops later. Weere stops python?
>Thank you for your fast reactions.

Things not to worry about:

Large programs are not a problem (aside from some minor weaknesses in
Python's object model). It scales well, unlike what I've heard of Visual
Basic.

Python is higher level than C/C++. The language is more expressive and
offers fewer pitfalls. Hence it is easier to write reliable code in
Python, which can be a life saver for large projects and programmer
productivity in general. (Most languages do better than C/C++ in this
regard because of C/C++'s reliance on pointers and manual memory
management, and because of C++'s dreadful complexity.)

Things to worry about:

Python, like most high-level languages, is slower than C at certain
tasks. If you can isolate a few simple subroutines that need to run
faster you can try coding them in C and call them from Python. I think
you will find Python fast enough for most real-world tasks on modern
computers. As somebody else pointed out, "fast enough" is a moving
target, and one that more and more favors high-level languages. The
realm of problems that require C or hand-tuned assembly code is
mercifullly shrinking every year.

Most operatings systems provide low level APIs in C/C++. Hence it will
be easier to write a device drivers in C/C++. However, you *can* connect
C/C++ code to Python.

-- Russell