Language Niches (long)

Robert Amesz reqhye72zux at mailexpire.com
Fri Aug 3 19:52:38 EDT 2001

Rich Holm wrote:

> In article <mailman.996429234.13926.python-list at python.org>,
> paulp at ActiveState.com says...
>>
>>  * C++ was promoted by Microsoft as the standard way to do GUIs on
>> Windows
>>

> I don't want to start a flame fest, but...

How about a little spelling flame?

> Where did you hear this?  It was Borland that popularized the C++
> on Windows paradym.

"Paradym"? That isn't spelt that way. It's actually "pair 'o dimes". If
somebody offers his/her humble opinion it's 'his/her two cents worth'.
But sometimes opnions get inflated to incredible proportions, and then
they becomes two dimes worth, or a "pair 'o dimes".

There actually is an older spelling of the word, as we can see in the
title "Paradigm Lost", by Milton, the epic poem about mankind's
struggle to come to terms with Good, Evil, and The Loss Of A Small
Amount Of Change.

> Microsoft was WAS behind the curve at the time. The Borland class
> libraries were/are vastly superior to MFC.  Too bad they lost out
> in the end.

Yes, it's immortalized in Edward Lear's famous poem "The OWL and the
pussycat".

Robert Amesz (taking a break from seriousness)