Python Path Blues

Maan M. Hamze mmhamze at pleiades.net
Thu Aug 16 11:37:04 EDT 2001

I am running into a very frustrating problem.
I have Python 2.1 (NOT 2.1.1) on Win NT.  I recently installed DCOracle2 for
WIN NT to connect to an ORacle 8 database on a Solaris machine.
I ran the install for DCOracle2.  It copied the correct pyd (dco2.pyd) into
the directory c:\python\Dco2\DCOracle2
So, in this directory I have now:  DCOracle2.py, DCOracle2.pyc, and dco2.pyd

Then I added this path into the string of library Python paths ( I am using
Python 2.1 because the binary of DCOracle2 comes readily compiled for Python
2.1 and will not work with Python 2.1.1).

When I type
import DCOracle2
in the interactive shell, I get the error message:

>>> import DCOracle2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
    import DCOracle2
ImportError: No module named DCOracle2

What gives?  Why am I getting an ImportError if DCOracle2 is in the lib
path?
Maan